Guys, am in the process of trying my hand at SS wick builds on genesis attys.
So i thought it would be good to share some of my experiences as i am learning.
Initially , trying different ways to make the SS wick.
The first attempt was of course just burning the mesh ( lots of vids online ) with a torch and then fold one end ( this part is universal to all techniques ) and then wrap from the opposite end ( freehand - without using any tools). I inserted this into the wick hole of the kraken ( rolled it around till it fit the hole - size of mesh was roughly 30X30mm ) . Then i took some wire ( dont remember the gauge ) and tried to wrap around the wick ( 4 turns ). But to cut the long story short, getting uniform contact with the wick was extremely difficult and so hot spots were there all the time - failure.
In the meantime i saw some videos - particularly jong yeol kim & igetcha69.
So what i realised is that to get a uniform contact of the coil with the wick, i need to use a tool ( as they use, makes things much easier ).
So next attempt was on the kraken again. So i took a 1.5mm coiling rod and wrapped my mesh around it so that it would hold its shape. anted to try TC this time hoping that would prevent hotspots
Took Ni200 wire ( awg 28 ) and put around 6 wraps around a 2.5mm coiling rod. Put the rod into the wick hole and put the coil in place and fastened the positive and negative posts to the wire. Gave a few dry burns to the coil. Realized two things - Ni200 is very soft, so when i would try to adjust the coils, it would get deformed very easily. And i had put in too many wraps ( trying to get good amount of resistance ) - so even without the wick, only around 3 wraps were glowing and the others were not.
Anyway, i kept twisting the wick around the 1.5mm coiling rod till it was just fitting the coil - put it in after burning some juice on the rolled mesh ( please see videos ). Played around for sometime giving dry burns but bcos Ni is so soft, it would not really hold its position and kept getting hot spots. Tried vaping - but hot spot problem was there, even on a TP mod - VS rDNA40
Next i took out the nahaulon and experimented with kanthal 26 ( dont have 28, i realised ). Need a slightly thick wire and firm wire, i thought. Followed igetcha69 method. Took a 1.5mm coiling rod and wrapped the mesh around it till it would fit the wicking hole ( which is 2.5mm in nahaulon, most probably ). Once i was sure that it was fitting - i dripped some liquid on the mesh roll & burnt it - around 3 times - standard procedure. Then with the mesh on the coiling rod, i roughly made 4 wraps of 26 awg kanthal wire so that it was firmly touching the wick, but not too tight so as to totally deform the mesh. Then screwed the wire into the atty still with the coiling rod inside to hold everything together. It was much better - very easy to get rid of hotspots this time. Put in some juice and started vaping - not bad ( as far the coil building is concerned - there were other issues , but that is not relevant here ). Its another matter that after fiddling with some other issue for around half an hour, the kanthal wire snapped at the positive post