Default Super flavor build!

I have been more towards cloud chasing since months (years would be better to say) and have been inclined towards thicker wires like 24, 22 and even 20 AWG.

However, from time to time, I keep playing with different kinds of builds.

Have been playing around with 30 AWG wire lately and today hit the jackpot! Try this build and let me know what you think of the flavor ..

30 AWG wire .. 2mm Screwdriver .. 7 wraps each coil (dual coil) .. microcoils .. 1.0 ohm total .. Vaping on 30 watts.

Of course, may depend from juice to juice but I have tried 3 different eLiquids and all giving amazing flavor and fog. It's really amazing on the Big Dripper V2

Vaperazzi

Default Re: Super flavor build!

Andy bhai, dont make dual coils for a long time - and also not done clouds for very long

I understand bhai .. which atty are you using these days?

Vapetastic

Hi Andy,

I also tend to use thinner gauge wire these days, thinking it generally gives more contact surface (not sure i still have enough of math skills to prove that), and that's good for flavor. My experience tends to confirm these assertions, so i'm happy to see you are in the same line.

I used to use 26 gauge, now 28 is my standard, 32 when possible (superb on a mesh, ex. in the Nextgen).
    But, i almost always prefer a more beefy single coil than doubles (one reason i did't get the Big Dripper).

I'm mostly playing around Claptons these days, i finally got a fused clapton (32 over 2 * 26 in parallel) quite right... and it's really worth the effort. Will post separately on that later. By the way, for the impatient, i've seen one can now buy single wire Clapton (32 wrapped on 26) from UD.

Vaperazzi

Which is the parameter you are holding constant, when you say that thinner wire has larger surface area?
    Its obvious that thinner wire will give you much higher resistance for the same length ( which will have much lower surface area ).

Vaper

What about using ribbon kanthal to get larger surface contact...long time ago i had seen one of todd's video about the same..he was raving about it.

Vaperazzi

WRONG, plz ignore :
    The circle will give max perimeter for a given area - which is a given resistance per unit length. Which means that for the same area, a rectangular wire will have a smaller perimeter. So theoritically, its not correct as the surface area for a given resistance will be maximum for a circular wire. But, if we see that only a small part of the surface area of the wire is actually touching the cotton & the eliquid in the cotton, then it is possible that a rectangular/ribbon style wire can actually have a larger part of the surface touching (50%) the cotton and hence produce more vaporisation at a given wattage - maybe
    Of course, reality can be much more complex than such simple math
    Anyway, can be tried for sure

Vapetastic

Kalc, about the surface/perimeter: i'm sure that's right the opposite, unless i completely misunderstood The flatter the ribbon, the more the contact surface.
    And, Daru, definitely i want to try it.

But, Kalc, you're completely right about which parameter to consider, for the diameter of the wire. So, i retract my comment about the contact area vs diameter.

And your remark on the contact to the wick is also very interesting, but raises some other questions For example, doesn't the wick itself also vaporize?

Isn't it funny: these very basics of how our devices work are pretty much left only to experimentation, and open to discussions.

Vaperazzi

Oh sorry, yes, i got it opposite :P For a given area, circle will have the least perimeter - max area to perimeter ratio, calculus problem. Rectangle will be worst , hence maximum contact area (surface) for the same resistance - so yes, that makes sense.
    Sorry guys, i put the opposite in the earlier post.

Vaperazzi

Yes foobar, real problems are so complex, that we need to resort to modelling - and in this case, i am afraid, the real model will have to incorporate thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, electricity, etc. - extremely complex to say the least

Vapetastic

Agreed, Kalc, what's going on there is everything but trivial. A physical model (with simulations, etc) is surely very far fetched.
    However, macro video captures with some temperature, pressure and velocity probes would help understanding these phenomenas, and i didn't find anything at all on the net. So i suspect that every body is pretty much at the same point.