Vapaholic

Default "Vaperís Tongue"

Vaperís Tongue is a common problem faced by experience vapers. Once you find your favorite flavor, itís natural to want to vape that same flavor non-stop. The problem is that youíll tend to eventually lose your ability to taste that flavor. Here are some of the common reasons:

1. You need to switch up your flavors

Once youíve been vaping the same flavor for too long, your taste buds will become desensitized to it.

The solution? Either switch flavors or start vaping a stronger version of the same flavor. This will help your taste buds to regain the ability to taste the e-juice.

2. Youíre dehydrated

Vaping can cause you to become dehydrated. If this is the cause of your vaperís tongue, just rehydrate and you should be able to taste again.

3. Colds (or any other illness that blocks the nasal passages)

Believe it or not, your sense of smell is critical to being able to taste things. If your nasal passages are blocked due to a cold, your ability to taste your favorite flavor will be greatly reduced. Once you recover you should be fine.

Vapetastic

Default Re: "Vaperís Tongue"

(Source :- http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/as...rs-tongue.html )

1. Vaping the same flavour for too long

This is probably the least scientific of the reasons here (on the basis I canít find any research to back it up), but Iíve noticed that myself and other vapers frequently get vaperís tongue after we have been vaping the same flavour for too long.

2. Damaged taste buds

Unfortunately, taste buds can get damaged and could lead to a numb tongue. Causes include smoking, infections, alcohol, extremely sour foods, spicy foods and some medications. Fortunately, taste buds heal themselves, although they do get weaker as you get older (which is one reason your tastes change so much in the transition from childhood to adulthood.)

As weíve seen, it can take up to two weeks for taste buds to regrow, so it could be a little time before you fully regain your sense of taste
    3. Recently switched from smoking

Iím mentioning this cause for the sake of completeness. Often mentioned on other blog posts on vaperís tongue, but Iím a little sceptical that this could cause your vaperís tongue unless you are a dual user (both vape and smoke).

Yes, smoking can damage taste and smell (fortunately itís not permanent). In fact, many vapers have reported coming down in the morning a couple of weeks after there last cigarette and being hit by the fresh smell of coffee brewing.

(Thatís the positive experience Ė other vapers have been hit by less pleasant smells!)

However, vaperís tongue refers to suddenly losing your sense of taste, so unless you have just started smoking, itís not likely to be a cause.

4. Dehydration

Another possible cause of loss of taste. Other symptoms to watch out for are headaches, sore and dry mouth, tiredness and dark urine.

While a glass of water should help you, remember dehydration also means that you are losing salts.

5. Mouth dryness

Dry mouth is caused by a lack of saliva, and youíre likely to experience it from time to time (especially as you get older). Unfortunately, it can also lead to a loss of taste.

6. Blocked nose

Woman lying in bed blowing her nose.

As weíve seen, your sense of smell works with your olfactory senses (sense of smell) to determine flavour. If your nose is blocked, it will affect how you taste, particularly with more complex flavours.

7. Other illnesses

While blocked noses (and associated illnesses such as flu and cold), are an obvious cause of loss of taste, they are not the only illness that mess up your vaping experience!

Other illnesses include:

Injury to the mouth, nose, or head
    Swollen or inflamed gums (gingivitis)
    Vitamin B12 or zinc deficiency
    Alzheimers

(I am a bit worried here that I am going to panic thousands of vapers into thinking they have Alzheimers! Remember,most vapers experience vaperís tongue at some point, and it usually just passes. So unless the issue persists there should be no reason to worry Ė although if it does persist, it might just be worth pursuing the issue with a doctor.)

7. Medicines

A number of medicines can also lead to a loss of taste. These include:

thyroid drugs
    captopril
    griseofulvin
    lithium
    penicillamine
    procarbazine
    rifampin
    some cancer drugs

If you have vaperís tongue and are taking one of these drugs, that might just be the reasons.

8. Stress and anxiety

Anxiety can also cause tastes to change. And, strangely, you can experience changes in taste even when you do not think you are suffering from anxiety at the moment.

While we donít know all the reasons why taste buds change when you are stressed, some causes include:

changes in taste buds, as your taste buds rebel when you are stressed
    breathing through your mouth Ė when you are suffering from anxiety, you tend to breath through your mouth, which can lead to different tastes (possibly because it affects your salivary glands and the bacteria in your mouth)
    acid reflux
    increase in sensitivity Ė sometimes when we are stressed we are simply more sensitive to bad tastes

9. Aging Eliquid

As was mentioned in our interview with nicotine expert Dr Houezec, as eliquids age, flavours can degrade, sometimes leading to a peppery taste. In which case, you might not have a case of vaperís tongue at all, but simply need to get some new ejuice!
    10. Dirty Atomiser Contacts

Dark Vaper on Twitter believes that Vaperís Tongue is caused by dirty atomiser contacts. So if you are suffering, it may be worth cleaning or replacing your atomiser/clearomiser.

9 Ways to Cure Vapers Tongue
    99% of the time the following solutions should help you fix vaperís tongue.

1. Change the flavour
    This simple solution has worked for me! Simply change the flavour you are vaping, and return to it after a couple of weeks. Hopefully, it will then taste just as good as it used to!

2. Use a stronger flavour
    It may also be an idea to abandon the more subtle, refined vaping flavours, and use something a bit more down to earth and strong.

3. Drink water
    Drinking water addresses two potential problems of vaping: it clears the pallete, and also helps to redydrate you.

4. Inhaling the smell of fresh coffee beans
    coffee beans in jute bag with coffee grinder and hot cup of coffee on wooden table
    This is a technique used by professional wine tasters and perfume samplers. While Iíve no idea how it works, these experts believe that inhaling the scent of fresh coffee beans ďresetsĒ your sense of taste. Got to be worth a try!

5. Sucking on a lemon
    Like coffee beans, sucking on a lemon is supposed to reset your taste buds. If lemons are a bit too sour for you, try lemon sorbet!

6. Mouth wash
    Thereís mixed thoughts on this. Some vapers think mouth wash helps to resolve vaperís tongue, others think that it causes it! One to try if nothing else works.

7. Using steeped juices
    The Mt Bakers website recommends using steeped eliquid, on the basis that youíll get more taste. Our own experience is that steeping eliquid leads to a softer, more refined taste

8. Allow time
    As weíve discussed, damaged taste buds can take up to two weeks to recover. So give it a little time and you may find your tongue is back to normal!

9. End dual vaping:

If youíre a dual vaper (you both smoke and vape) then, if you can, it might be an idea to try just vaping for a couple of weeks and seeing if that makes a difference. It could just give you that final push to make the final, full transition to electronic cigarettes.

10 Vape Unflavoured Juice (reader suggestion)

Several readers (including Vapeorama in the comments below) have suggested vaping an unflavoured base eliquid for up to two weeks. I havenít tried this, so let me know in the comments if this works for you.

11. Use a Tongue Scraper (reader suggestion)
    In the comments below, Alisha from Genecigs suggests using a tongue scraper.

Vaperazzi

I switch eliquid every session.

Vapetastic

Was rather prone to vapers tongue. Steps taken to overcome the same:

1) Switched to a toothpaste that has mouthwash, it helped to breakdown n remove the oily deposits on the tongue. Else use mouthwash separately. Use a tongue cleaner after that
    2) Use 3 different juices daily on diff setups. A fruity one, a chocolatey one and a tobac one. Rotating one after the after keeps my taste buds up
    3) Whenever possible, I pair my vape with an appropriate liquid to go with it. Sumtimes tea/coffe, even sherbet and fruit juices. My olfactory senses keep up and it add to a whole new meaning to vaping. Vaping on a new paan with tobac combo with pineapple juice. Killer !!!!

Vapetastic

this is an interesting subject.

Today only i was wondering that in the morning i filled my tank with apple juice. I filled it again the afternoon but by evening i felt that i am not getting the same flavor which i was getting in the morning.

Seems like too much vaping on the same flavor for a long period does fup ur taste buds

Vapaholic

Quite obvious mayank

Vaperazzi

Yes, within a 10-15 minute session of vaping , i can clearly observe how the flavour perception degrades - not the taste , but the aroma - so i dont vape the same juice in succession. I dont know who called it vapers tongue - tongue bite is an issue in pipe smoking, not in vaping. But yes, the tongue does get a bit affected sometimes depending on various factors.
    Its well known that our smell perception works for a short time & then we stop perceiving the same aroma(mostly) - happens while eating/cooking, with perfumes, etc.
    So this aspect is nothing specific to vaping in my mind.
    But if aroma reception is suffering, I can switch a few flavours parallely & then the aroma is back pretty quickly - i do that sometimes, vape 2 eliquids in parallel, particularly when i am trying to appreciate the nuances of a eliquid.

Vaper

Just wondering for most of us who smoke/used to smoke we pretty much stuck to one of brand of cigs for years. There was never a question of "smokers tongue" or the likes which really motivated us to change brands except when one had a sore throat and used a relatively less harsher stick.

Is there a semblance of longevity/loyalty to a single eliquid?

The thing about vaping is that it offers many options. If I vape the same eLiquid for too long, I feel I'm not doing justice to the other flavors in my arsenal .. Well, j/k

I believe, it is more of a psychological thing. I can vape the same flavored eLiquid for weeks. In fact, if I make 120ml of an eLiquid, I continue to vape it until it is completely finished. Then I make more. But throughout the time, I don't really feel anything missing and don't really feel the urge to try a different flavor. I guess I'm a bit lazy

Vaperazzi

Tongue bite & tongue burn are well known in cigar & pipe smoking. As i smoke those, i know it very well

Vaper

[quote author=AndyK link=topic=766.msg12181#msg12181 date=1444812546]
    The thing about vaping is that it offers many options. If I vape the same eLiquid for too long, I feel I'm not doing justice to the other flavors in my arsenal .. Well, j/k

I believe, it is more of a psychological thing. I can vape the same flavored eLiquid for weeks. In fact, if I make 120ml of an eLiquid, I continue to vape it until it is completely finished. Then I make more. But throughout the time, I don't really feel anything missing and don't really feel the urge to try a different flavor. I guess I'm a bit lazy
    [/quote]

it does make sense Andy. Though in reference with the number of options, regular cigarettes are also available in different types. I don't quite recall but when i started smoking i may have experimented before settling in on my favorite brand and then never shifted.

With that being said vaping is a different experience (for me personally) and the experimentation is really helping considering the vapelicious juices that are available ;D ;D ;D

[quote author=kalc link=topic=766.msg12191#msg12191 date=1444823239]
    Tongue bite & tongue burn are well known in cigar & pipe smoking. As i smoke those, i know it very well
    [/quote]

Got it kalc...so does that mean that once you are hooked to a certain kind of tobacco wrt pipes and cigars the tendency to alternate between brands reduces?

Vaperazzi

Pipes & cigars can become a hobby , just like vaping. So you can easily find aficionados with huge collections. Its not about just brand - but different variants. Its an entirely different world Of course, it is possible that you start liking certain variants - like someone might find pure virginia flakes appealing and stay away from aromatics ( in pipes ) , for example - also with experience , tastes may change.
    When it comes to vaping i have over 50 imported eliquids & keep on trying newer stuff Just gaining experience

Vaper

Got it...thanks for the clarification kalc...as always appreciate the detailing in your responses.

Vaperazzi

Welcome bro